I am delinquent in updating our website the last few weeks. The first week was because we were off in Austin having a blast with my sister Cheri's family. Then last weekend, we didn't have internet access. So, here I am trying to get caught up.
Icy weather cleared out long enough for us to go to Austin. I was able to get off work early and we made it to Austin late Friday night, January 19th. We didn't have anything big planned for the weekend except just spending time with Cheri's family. The kids had a ton of fun playing with Rebecca and Ryan. I think Rachel played every game in the toy closet. Dave, Cheri, and I left the younger kids with Holly and went down town to see Brooke play in a Volleyball tournament. That was fun, too, even though it was not a win for Brooke's team. We stayed up late and had ice cream sundaes and watched a movie - or should I say, some of us watched the movie while others slept through it. Since we've been back the girls keep asking when we'll see "the cousin who has big sisters named Brooke and Holly" again. Someday soon, I think Alyson will get "Rebecca" in her brain. Cheri was hoping to make a trip up here mid-February, but that's not certain yet.
For entertainment last weekend, we took the kids to Dallas and went to the aquarium at the fair grounds. We intended to go to the World Aquarium but found the other one instead. The kids had fun. Rachel will tell you her favorite animals were the alligator, alligator snapping turtle and the sea turtle. Alyson liked all of the "Lake" fishes. The "sea" fishes scared her - sharks, stingrays, jellyfish, etc. Matthew was just thrilled to balance on the benches that ran along all of the windows. He also really liked the "upside down mirror".
We're plugging along trying to get more settled. This week we've been fighting colds and coughs. Rachel missed school yesterday and Matthew has been pretty grumpy all week. Alyson is the furthest behind in school, so we are working with her to help her read simple three-word sentences. She was still learning her ABC's when we left Utah. Despite more homework and bigger expectations from teachers, the girls both love their new school.
I'm still adjusting to a different work environment. My job is still being defined; strategic planning meetings were held this week and that should prove to give me guidance on the work I am to focus on this year. Dave is trying to keep up with kid's homework and chores; he found a few minutes this weekend to get away from the house by himself. He is looking at his future options - he really wants to go to back to school and has found UT Arlington has a really good Electrical Engineering program. We have to wait a full year to apply to avoid out-of-state tuition. In the meantime, he plans to continue being home to help the kids and support me!
I hope you are all having a great week!
Love,
Kari, Dave, and the gang
No comments:
Post a Comment