Work occupied most of my time and energy this week. I had some very difficult situations to work with and will have to face them again tomorrow when I return. Dave continues to encourage me to relax and not let things upset me so much; that's really hard when I don't feel I have the support I need to be effective! Although tempting knowing what is waiting for me to do Monday, I took the weekend completely off. We enjoyed some good family time together.
Alyson surprised us all and came home earlier than expected on Friday. She told us last week that she wasn't coming home until the 27th (which is today). I was thrilled since I was homesick for her. Alyson was excited to see everyone and show off how much she got spoiled by Grandma and Grandpa Ankeney. In addition to the special one-on-one time with Grandma and Grandpa, Alyson spent time with Great Grandma Stark. She raved about trips to McDonalds and the coffee shops with Grandpa where she was treated to sodas and other sweet things. She commented yesterday that she was always busy. They didn't play computer games because there was too much work to do. (Unlike her older sister, Alyson likes to be put to work!) I hear she was an excellent helper for Grandpa out at the feed lot. She helped care for a brand new calf born while she was there. And then... there was SHOPPING with Grandma! I don't know what I would do without grandparents helping with new school clothes every year - we greatly appreciate the help and I enjoy not having to go shopping! My poor girls got blessed with a mother who loathes shopping of any kind.
Rachel couldn't wait to pack her suitcase and leave with Grandpa yesterday morning. She made sure she got up early so they could get there as soon as possible. She called around 1:30 PM to let me know she was there and safe.
Earlier in the week, Rachel convinced Matthew to put their allowances together to buy 1 month of ToonTown membership. She was actually trying to convince Mom and Dad to let her spend her entire year's allowance (on a credit basis) for an annual membership. Choosing this opportunity to teach her the value of not over extending ourselves, we encouraged her to try the monthly game cards. If she still wants to play after the month ends, she can wait until she has enough money to buy another card. Not too thrilled that Mom and Dad would not give this child a line of credit, knowing perfectly well she would regret it later, she headed the council and we spent an entire evening last week going to several different stores to find the game card - wha-laa - Target has them!
The highlights for me this week (other than Alyson coming home) were Family Home Evening with our trip to Wal-Mart for Ben & Jerry's ice cream (we each got our own pint) and a family bike ride last night. I don't have my own bicycle, so I borrowed Rachel's. Dave aired up all the tires and adjusted seats and handle bars and we were set! Rachel's bike is a little on the small side for me; someday I will have to get my own. It was great exercise and a good way to spend time together. Alyson asked me this morning when we can go again (the bike ride anyway - she wasn't here for Ben & Jerry's and this will have to be a once-in-a-great-while treat!)
1 comment:
Toon Town is a big hit with our family, too. That annual membership was the only thing Jeff wanted for his birthday. And we must share the same genes . . . I abhor shopping, too! Unfortunately, I don't have a Grandma Ankeney to take over!
Post a Comment