Sunday, May 30, 2010

Hot, Hot, Hot

Highlights from this week:
  • We went from low 70's to high 90's within a matter of days
  • Alyson got 98% on her "Invention Convention" project - She could've received a 100% IF she was willing to market her project for more than it cost to make it.  She couldn't understand the logic in that!  I guess we have some more teaching to do.  This picture shows work in progress - you fill the cup at the top with water and then place pots below the bar.  As you turn the red knob, water flows through holes in the pipes to water multiple plants at one time.  Creative!


  • Rachel got the award for being the person with the most school spirit at Field Day on Friday.  She begged me to take her to Wal-Mart (mistake #1), to buy ribbon for which she was hoping I would help finance (mistake #2), and then convinced me that I could make bows for her and her friends much better than she could (mistake #3) at 10:00 p.m. the night before the big field day at school.  The bows had the school colors and she tied them in with colorful shoe laces and the school's t-shirt.  Thank goodness for Karen Stratton and her Young Women activities on bow making many years ago!
  • Grandma and Grandpa Ankeney decided to come visit for the long weekend.  The kids are enjoying the visit, kite flying, and movies.  Pokey is enjoying time with his new friend Charlie (Grandma's puppy).
  • Dave bought yet another "toy" - he is now reloading all of his own ammunition.  He is trying to capitalize on the fact he will be able to save a lot of money in the future by making his own bullets.  My personal opinion is you can save A LOT of money in the future by not even owning the guns.  Oh well, we all need hobbies and he is sure enjoying this one at the moment.



     
  • Matthew threw an awesome pass in his football game yesterday afternoon.  This was a natural, beautiful spiral!  I don't know where this comes from :)
  • I bought my first watermelon of the season - and we ate it in one sitting ( yikes! ) - Like I said, WE instead of ME.
  • The big pool at the Heritage community club house opened.  The kids have been looking forward to this ever since we moved into the neighborhood.  It felt soooo... good to cool off in the pool last night after a very hot day in the sun.  Even I think I'll spend a lot of time there this summer.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I really enjoyed your update!

If I'd been there to help with your watermelon, you would have needed two!

Dad and I went to the Stake fun run/walk this morning, and they had watermelon after the races. It tasted so good! We're off to Arizona about 5 a.m. tomorrow.

Love,

Mother

Ashcraft Family said...

I have to say the toy Dave got might come in handy! You tell him he'll need to get with Joe and teach him to make his own bullets! We go through them like water and so expensive and hard to get! Your kids are exceptional. What a beautiful family. You sound like you love Texas. Jess is coming back here (you probably know) But my Morgan (oldest daughter) Lost two of her best friends to Texas in 2 weeks. What is it about Texas? hee hee